We're Open & Ready To Help! Get Started Without Leaving Home.
Client filling out separation agreement

Separation Agreements

Get Your FREE Case Evaluation

North Carolina law requires couples seeking a divorce to live apart for a one-year period. The rationale behind this time restriction is to make sure that people are sure that this is what they want to do. If you are certain that you want to get divorced, this time can provide you with a great opportunity to accomplish your goals.

During this period of time, there are issues that can be resolved, including how to divide marital property and how to apportion debt. In addition, child custody, visitation, and child support arrangements can be made. Although, these arrangements are not necessarily permanent, they can have permanent consequences. Issues relating to spousal support (alimony) can be addressed.

Couples may agree on these issues in a type of contract called a separation agreement. This is a legally binding contract between the two individuals seeking a divorce. Courts will enforce the terms of the agreement in the event that one party or the other fails to abide by its terms.

The Wilmington legal separation lawyers at Speaks Law Firm understand the intricacies of separation agreements and divorce. They can help you negotiate favorable terms in your separation agreement. You must take steps to make sure that you are treated fairly. Speaking with an experienced divorce and family lawyer can accomplish this goal.

We can make sure that you get the terms that are fair to you, and to your children. We work hard to resolve these issues amicably. You can call to set up a consultation with us at (910) 341-7570 or toll free at (877) 593-4223. Don’t sign away your rights without letting a Wilmington legal separation lawyer from Speaks Law Firm write or review the terms of your separation agreement!

Divorce and Separation Agreement Attorneys and Lawyers in Wilmington North Carolina, Carolina Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Hampstead, Burgaw, Leland, Shallotte, New Hanover County, Pender County, Brunswick County.